The man accused of draining hundreds of thousands of dollars from a GoFundMe account that was started to raise money for a homeless Good Samaritan has been arrested on an outstanding traffic warrant.
The Florence Township Police Department said in a Facebook post that Mark D'Amico, 39, was taken into custody at his home Monday night, making it clear that the warrant was unrelated to the GoFundMe campaign investigation.
Mark D'Amico was taken into custody last night at his residence at 9:20 p.m. for outstanding warrants. Mr. D'Amico was processed for the warrants and was transported to Burlington County Jail.
THE OUTSTANDING WARRANTS FOR MR. D'AMICO'S ARREST WERE UNRELATED TO THE GOFUNDME INVESTIGATION.
D'Amico and his girlfriend, Kate McClure, are accused of spending most of the $400,000 they raised in online donations for a homeless Marine veteran, John Bobbitt. Bobbitt gave the couple his last $20 when her car ran out of gas in a bad neighborhood. Over 14,000 people donated to the GoFundMe campaign, but the veteran says he didn't receive most of the money.
On Monday, the attorney for the couple, Ernest E. Badway, asked the judge in the civil suit to delay proceedings indefinitely because all his client's records had been seized by police during a raid on the couple's house last week. Badway said it appeared likely that one or both of his clients would be indicted and that his firm could no longer represent them.
According to Bobbit's attorney, the police raid on the couple's New Jersey home revealed several luxury items, but no cash. Promislo said that the couple went on a shopping spree.
“[Bobbitt] tells me they had a Louis Vuitton bag and Chanel sunglasses, a new iPhone 10," Promislo said. "I know they spent a lot of money."
GoFundMe says Bobbitt will be made whole once this is over. An escrow account was set up with $20,000 for Bobbitt and will receive the balance of fund he did not receive.